Happy Thanksgiving week all! As it is the week of thanksgiving, I wanted to recognize the music therapists who I am thankful for. These music therapists have inspired and impacted my music therapy journey greatly.
Music Therapists Who Piqued my Interest
When I was in 8th grade I made the decision that I wanted to go into music. My mom started telling me about a daughter of a friend of hers, Hannah. My mom told me that Hannah was a music therapist and encouraged me to look into music therapy as a career. I have not gotten to meet Hannah, but I hope someday I will get to meet and thank her!
I am thankful for Hannah because without her I wouldn’t have discovered the music therapy profession.
When I was a sophomore in high school I was telling everyone that I was planning on studying music therapy, but I wasn’t quite sold yet. At this time, an acquaintance of mine was sharing pictures of their young cousin’s cancer journey on social media. This acquaintance shared a photo of a music therapist working with their cousin at St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital. I can pinpoint seeing that picture was what really solidified in me that music therapy is what I wanted my career to be. Prior to starting internship I decided to look on social media to see if I could find that picture. Upon finding that picture, I recognized that music therapist to be Amy Love, the music therapist at St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.
I am thankful for Amy Love, because seeing just a glimpse of her work solidified in me that music therapy was what I wanted to pursue.
The Western Illinois University Music Therapy Staff
The Western University music therapy department has been incredibly influential on me as a music therapist in training. I auditioned for three schools, but I am beyond grateful that I chose WIU. I am especially grateful because I had the opportunity to meet and work with the music therapy staff at WIU.
- I am thankful for Dr. Garwood, who introduced me to the profession of music therapy during Introduction to Music Therapy.
- I am thankful for Mr. Holbrook, who was my first music therapy practicum supervisor.
- I am thankful for Mrs. Coovert, who always pushed me to be my best as my practicum supervisor for two semesters.
- I am thankful for Mrs. Sevcik, who I learned so much from from as a teacher and a supervisor.
- I am thankful for Dr. Jones, who helped me so much as a teacher, advisor, supervisor, and mentor.
Overall, I am thankful to the WIU Music Therapy staff for giving me solid foundation for my music therapy journey.
The Music Therapy Connections Staff
The Music Therapy Connections staff are the newest music therapists to come into my life, but that doesn’t decrease how thankful I am for them! The staff at MTC has introduced me to many different populations, ways of thoughts and techniques.
- I am thankful for Katey, who has introduced me to the pediatric medical setting and has been a great person to talk through many of my anxieties as an intern.
- I am thankful for Molly, who I have learned so much from about working with groups and giving piano lessons.
- I am thankful for Emma, who I have learned much from about working in schools and has challenged me to go outside my comfort zone.
- I am thankful for Rachel, who I learned so much from about being a business owner and the music therapy community.
- I am thankful for Cicely, who has been my friend for 4 years now and whose friendship I highly value.
Overall, I am thankful that I have the opportunity to complete my internship at MTC and learn under all of these wonderful music therapists.
My Friends and Peers
Finally, I am so thankful for all of my peers and friends that I learned with during my four years at WIU. I am thankful for all of the wonderful learning experiences I have had with my peers. Additionally, I am thankful for all of the wonderful memories of working and learning with all of them.
- I am thankful for my fellow 2021 graduates, I’m fortunate that had the opportunity to learn and work with you all.
- I am thankful for the other WIU music therapy students I had the opportunity to meet and work with.
- I am thankful for Rebecca, who was the best roommate/friend I could have asked for and I whose collaborations I highly value.
Overall, I am thankful to have them as a part of my music therapy journeys and to have been apart of their music therapy journeys, as well.
There are so many other people in the music therapy community that I am thankful for. I am so thankful for the for all of the music therapists and music therapy students I have encountered on my music therapy journey. Additionally, I am thankful to you for reading! Happy Thanksgiving All!!!